Graphic Design Portfolio

Thursday, October 28, 2010

I'm On The Fence And Need Your Help!


Are you there?  Anyone?  Please.  I am so struggling with how to tackle this piece.  It was another Craigslist find. . . well over a year ago.  We moved it into its spot in the dining room where it has sat ever since. . .anxiously awaiting to be glammed up.  My original plan was to refinish it along with the dining room table (which we have had since we were married. . .20 years. . .another project in the waits), restoring the beauty of the wood. . .but now I may be leaning toward painting it black and just refinishing & staining the top.  Am I just in Black Mode following my latest buffet redo?  Or do I just want a quick fix, knowing that refinishing the whole enchilada will be way more work than grabbing a can of spray paint?  Should I scrap the black idea and pick out a color from the rug?  Please help me with this quandary, the only thing I am sure of is changing out the hardware.  I am open to any suggestions. . .thanks in advance to those who share their opinion, you are a treasure.
UPDATE:  I plan on tackling this project over my Thanksgiving break. . .so please keep those opinions coming.  Thanks again to all who have commented.  I am looking forward to posting the after pictures in a few weeks!!!!!!!!! 


Dining room rug. . .and er. . .a Sully butt.

We just put the corbels up last weekend.  I am not sure what I think about them.  Maybe too contemporary for the space?  Maybe when I find something cool to put on them I will like them better.

7 comments:

  1. saw your glammed up silver dresser on better after, and must say I am jealous. I think a color from the rug would look good, not sure if I was seeing blue in there or not? maybe the blue or red with a black glaze? okay, hope you get some good feedback.
    Always-in-wonder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great buffet! I'd go with a color in your rug. A French blue with a glaze or stain over it would be very pretty. Can't wait to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just painted some oak side tables black and it really modernized them, without totally covering up their vintage look. If it were mine, I'd go black, but you can go lighter and keep the top dark oak. You can see more here at this post: http://housefinally.blogspot.com/2010/09/makeovers-befores-and-afters-madness.html
    Either way it's a great piece- have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally help you with that! Just give ME the buffet and you won't have to worry about what color to paint it!

    That is a GORGEOUS piece!! I never find stuff like that on my Craigslist...people in Phoenix don't like to let go of that kind of stuff I guess...lol

    I personally would either freshen up the wood or paint it black. That way it will always be "current" and you won't have to tackle the project again later on when blue or red isn't "in". Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing I could tackle something like that. Cant wait to see what you do with it.
    I also see you do graphic design, I love you blog header ... interested in doing another one? Im desperate for something cute!
    christinahebert (at) live (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi!

    I am your newest follower! I saw you over at DIY Show off! LOVE all of your projects! You are a girl after my own heart... and you love wine?? I must say, we might be BFFs! :)

    Love this gorgeous craigslist piece. I don't ever find something that gorgeous! I would paint it black, distress it and leave the top oak. So classically beautiful! Maybe some pretty glass hardware?? IDK - just a thought!

    Talk soon! and I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    Come and visit me sometime at brandinell.blogspot.com

    xoxo,
    Brandi Nell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!

    I have to warn you before I give my opinion that I am a light-coloured furniture lover thinks painting it white is the answer to everything.

    I think you should pull out the pretty blue colour from the rug. It would soooooo perty. I agree with the glaze over top to give it a bit of an aged look.

    Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete