Graphic Design Portfolio

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Craigslist Antique Corner Planter

On my recent hiatus from The Daily Iowan (summer semester break) I was feeling a little inadequate.  Although I had a wonderful break (we took our daughter to Las Vegas for her 21st birthday - had a BLAST!!) I was feeling like I needed a little project since it has been so long.

I found this awesome antique planter on Craigslist.  Perfect for a quick afternoon makeover.
I sanded the side panels down to the naked wood and then masked them off.  Spray painted the original painted parts - trim and legs.  Took the masking off the side panels and painted the bird and twig pattern on with a paint pen.  Once dried, I distressed the legs/edges and sanded over the design to lighten it up and make it look old and worn.  Then I stained the wood panels and the distressed areas with a red mahogany stain.  I was going for a hand-rubbed finish.  It probably turned out a little more subtle than I had anticipated, but a fun, quick project for the sunroom.

Now I need to get it planted!! 


1 comment: