Graphic Design Portfolio

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Taylor's Room: Inspired by the silver dresser


  My girl's room set out to be contemporary, but with the addition of the silver dresser, I thunk it more Hollywood Glam. . .or perhaps a combination of the two.






I painted an organic graphic out of metallic paint on opposite sides of the room. The end of the room with the entrance doorway, bath doorway and closet, I painted chocolate. The other 3/4 of the room I painted a non-metallic platinum. Love zebra print, so I did my own knock off of a ZGallerie painting and found the subdued grey zebra bedding at West Elm.



I found the glamorous chandelier at a local lighting store (not cheap because I endend up having it converted to a plug in fixture rather than hard wire - - $100 extra) and hung it just the right height to reflect in a cheap cheap Ikea mirror (likey the cheap cheap).

I found a free chair on Craigslist for this room that I am having recovered in a linen look zebra fabric. It is one of those 70's french provincial numbers that were all over the place back then. Darn it all, I forgot to take a Before picture, but I will be sure to post an After picture when it is done. Guess what color I spray painted the framework of the chair? . . .wait for it. . . . . .

- - - silver.
And, yes, I made sure I covered it plenty with grey Rustoleum primer first ;)
Have I mentioned how important primer is?
I thought so.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there Heidi. I absolutely love what you did with your daughters room. You are obviously very talented. I am trying to come up with a zebra room makeover for my teen,and your design has inspired me. Could you tell me the name of the paint color you used for her walls and dresser?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie,
    The main wall color is Pratt and Lambert Platinum (It was left over from my laundry room; I did not turn out to be a big fan of the Pratt and Lambert paint, so maybe you could find some similar color in another brand.) The brown was a Dutch Boy. . .I want to say Chocolate, but not sure cause I used every bit of it. It was really hard to work with; for some reason it was the consistency of brownie mix. And I used Dutch Boy Lipstick for the organic metallic design. The dresser was done in Rustoleum Silver Metallic, Bright Reflective Finish spray paint. Thanks for the nice compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dresser. I've been wanting to paint my daughter's dresser silver, but thought it might look tacky. Yours looks great. I might just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Heidi,

    I have two mirrored nightstands and a silver/glass theme already in my master br and have been looking for a mirror dresser and you just helped me find it lol. What color is spray paint you used for dresser?? Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete