Graphic Design Portfolio

Friday, July 30, 2010

Boring Oak Dresser Turned Dining Room Sideboard





Sorry, I don't have any before photos of this antique oak dresser that I found at a local thrift shop. But you can probably picture what it looked like. Just a plain ole
honey oak antique dresser missing it's once attached mirror. It was in great shape and the price was right so I snagged it for our basement in our previous home. I lived with it like that for almost eleven years.

When we moved into our current home, I had an empty wall in our dining room that just screamed for something. . .but what?. . .YES!–That homely little oak dresser, it would fit the width of the wall just perfect. But I couldn't put it in my beautiful new dining room the way it was, so I got my can of spray paint out and transformed the ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.

I sanded the piece down and masked off the top. I then sprayed RUSTOLEUM GREY PRIMER over everything but the top. Then I applied semi-gloss black Rustoleum spray paint over the primer. I created a star shaped stencil and used a copper glaze to paint in the star design. After all was dry, I distressed portions of the legs and drawers, sanding over the stars to make them look old and worn. Then I unmasked the top and gave it and the exposed distressed areas a coat of walnut stain. To finish it off I changed out a couple of the drawer pulls and used the copper glaze around the edge of the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment