Graphic Design Portfolio

Monday, January 3, 2011

Keeping Out Of Trouble

Working at The Daily Iowan on the University of Iowa campus is awesome because we don't publish during university breaks.  This allows me three weeks off over the Xmas and New Year's holidays.  Such a blessing during the first two weeks when I am busy last minute shopping, decorating and hosting parties, but now that the tree has been thrown out the front door, (I mean literally thrown out the front door. . . what a freaking mess. . .I may have all the needles vacuumed up by next Xmas) all the entertaining over and the decorations put away; everyone else is back to work and Heidi needs something to keep her out of trouble (I don't actually get in trouble. . .I just need something to give me a sense of accomplishment).

ENTER:  My latest Craigslist find.  Yeah baby. . .and only $50.00.  I don't really have a good space for it, but it has such good bones I couldn't pass it up.

So I got to work on it right away.  It had two large cracks down both sides.  A little wood filler, sanding and primer. . .

I am going to slap on a couple of coats of Austere Gray (the color used on the dining room buffet; I think I have just enough for this project so it will be nice to use that up) and I am going to attempt to glaze over the gray with a mixture of bronze and a silver sage metallic paint.  I am kind of nervous because I know I will have brush marks to deal with.  Any furniture I have ever done metallic has been spray paint so no brush mark worries.  I have my fingers crossed that it will turn out the way I picture it in my head.  If so, I will have to somehow find space for it somewhere. . .if not. . .look for it on Craigslist. . .jk.
Check in tomorrow or Wednesday. . .I should have it done - - -GASP!  But then what will I do the rest of the week?

probably paint something.  or print on fabric - - stop.

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous find for $50. I am sure it will be amazing, I love those empire pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live up in Cedar Falls and I am ALWAYS scouring Craigslist for something like this. I guess I need to check more for Iowa City area instead. This looks fun to make over!!!

    ReplyDelete